Wednesday, November 19, 2008

TECHNO BOB: Rugby phone put to the 'crash' test

Why would anyone want a heavy phone that's almost twice the size of today's smallest wireless devices?

Crash!

Did you hear that? It was my test Samsung Rugby falling to the floor. Or maybe it was that time I dropped it onto the concrete walk. Or perhaps it was

one of those many times when I got out of my car, dropping it onto the pavement. I'm certain that it wasn't the time I told one of my fellow editors to run it over with his truck.



It also wasn't the time -- OK, three times -- a friend threw it against a stone fireplace. Nor was it any of the times I "accidentally on purpose" tossed it far out of reach toward someone who wanted to see it, only for the Rugby to crash to the floor.

By now you might be thinking I'd better hope I was paying for the insurance on this cell phone. But this is one wireless device in which forking over a few bucks a month for insurance is a waste, no matter how much the phone costs. The Rugby is built to a set of military specs, making it near impervious to destruction in normal, every day catastrophes.

The first time I took it out for a spin, someone called it a "Hummer" phone after hearing me describe the pounding it can take, and its appearance in this sample with a yellow and black case. That's an apt description.

Battery life was pretty good, not surprising when the phone is big enough to take a bigger battery. The speaker phone function on this phone is excellent, with plenty of volume, so I'm not sure why AT&T is pushing a car speaker accessory for the Rugby on its Web site.

In this version of the Rugby, provided by AT&T, I was able to do anything you could expect with a wireless device. The flip phone may not have a touch screen, but it did have Internet access, instant messaging, music capabilities and even Video Share.
- www.northfulton.com

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: