Thursday, November 6, 2008

Patrick Bell 'excited' to serve Forsyth

It's been a long campaign season for newcomer Patrick Bell.

After campaigning for the majority of 2008 and defeating incumbent county commissioner David Richard in July, the District 4 candidate can hop off the campaign trail after defeating Democrat Jon Flack Nov. 4.

"It's been something like no other," Bell said of his first campaign. "Until you've done something like this, you just have no clue what it's like."

Bell said the most shocking aspect of campaigning was the negative attacks he has seen.

"I was amazed at what people will and I'm not talking about a candidate," he said, "just people in general. It baffles me why people feel it's necessary to be so nasty and negative. I was warned about it, but it really surprised me when it happened, but you get used to it."

Bell wasn't taking time to celebrate and was even out working again on Nov. 5. He has spent most of the year learning everything he can about Forsyth County.

"It's been a tremendous year," he said. "I've learned so much this year about government. Not only that, but also the impact decisions have on so many other things."

Bell said he's ready to "dig in."

"I'm continuing to learn," he said. "It's going to be the same hard work, just a different kind."

When he started the campaign, Bell said he was an "unknown" and wanted to thank those who felt confidence in him.

"They felt comfortable with me and went out on a limb," he said. "Even though I was not extremely experienced in politics, they thought I was somebody that could bring some reasonable thoughts to the county. I think they saw in me someone who really cares about the county."

For those who didn't vote for him, Bell said he hopes they will see he truly cares about Forsyth County.

"You can tell there is a fear of retaliation," he said, "but the election is over. It's now my job to make the best decisions I can for this county. It'll be a very refreshing time for this county and I'm looking forward to working with these guys."

Bell said he is "looking forward to" attending the commissioner training during the first week of December with commissioner-elect Jim Boff, who will taking over District 5. Incumbent Linda Ledbetter decided not to seek re-election.
- www.northfulton.com

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: