Monday, December 1, 2008

Suwanee junior hitting stage for Nutcracker


It has to be something in the genes. Imagine a legendary NFL kicker, University of Georgia kicker, soccer player and two dancers all under one roof. To the Butler family, feet are serious business.

Now Savannah Butler, a 17-year-old junior at Peachtree Ridge High School, will show off the latest version of the family's talented feet when she hits the stage as a Sugar Plum Fairy for the Fleetwood Dance Theatre's "Nutcracker" Dec, 13.

Her father, Kevin Butler, played 13 seasons in the NFL for the Chicago Bears and Arizona Cardinals. Her brother, Drew, is currently playing for the University of Georgia and her sister, Scarlett, is also attending UGA while playing intramural soccer.

And her mother, Cathy, was a dancer most of her life, so doing something with her feet came natural to Savannah. But even though she has performed since she was two-years-old, Savannah said she's still nervous before every show.

"I think about the dance over and over," she said. "I always hope I do really well. Then I get out there and I'm fine. Definitely waiting is the worst part."

And Savannah isn't above sticking to her routine before every show.

"I always pray," she said. "My grandmother gave me a cross and I always kiss it before I go out on stage."

Her mother, Cathy, was also in the Fleetwood Dance Theatre Company. However, she never played the role of a Sugar Plum Fairy.

"I cried tears of joy when she found out," she said. "We are so proud of her. My sister and I took dance there. We never had that part, so she has surpassed what we did there."

The success has not come without cost, Cathy said. Savannah practices at least 24 hours a week at school, where she recently played Jasmine in the school's production of Aladdin under another former Fleetwood Dancer teacher in Courtney Ondre, and the Fleetwood Dance Theatre.

"She doesn't stop there," Cathy said. "She comes home and dances around the house."

What keeps Savannah coming back when trying to balancing class work, cheer leading, and all of her other extracurricular activities?

"I just love being on stage," she said with a smile. "I get the chance to show off what I've been working so hard for. People don't always appreciate dancers and the work that goes into it until they see it."

She said there is also a great family atmosphere with Fleetwood Dance.

"Our company is like one big family," she said. "I love my friends there and I know they will always be there for me. We are really close."

Being a part of Fleetwood Dance has also given Savannah a chance to coach younger dancers, which has led her to think of life after high school.

"I would love to go to school somewhere on a dancing scholarship," said Savannah who has performed at Disney World and in Times Square in New York where she would love to return. "Maybe in New York City or UGA. I would love to dance on Broadway and one day open my own studio to teach dance."

Savannah said she has appreciated everything coaches have taught her at Fleetwood Dance.

"They encourage me to dance from the heart and not to just win awards," she said, "but to show people what we can really do."

Savannah said she receives plenty of support from her family.

"My dad really takes care of me," she said.

Cathy said Kevin has always "respected the feet."

"He definitely takes care of the feet and gives Savannah foot massages," she said.

Savannah admitted managing it all can lead to weeks of very little sleep and mornings with a full coffee mug. But Cathy said her daughter is a "goal setter."

"She works very hard and sometimes she's too hard on herself," she said.

Savannah has her plans for the future. But for now, Savannah hopes the audience will enjoy kicking off the holidays with the Nutcracker.

"It's very fun and an enjoyable show for the entire family," she said. "I think it's a fun way to get into the Christmas spirit."
- www.gwinnettherald.com

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: