Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Duluth woman's hiking group growing

It all started on the Appalachian Trail. Anna Huthmaker became truly hooked on the outdoors when she hiked 700 miles of the trail a couple years ago, something she believes everyone should try. The Duluth resident then started taking more similar trips where she kept noticing something that got her thinking.

"There was no one like me out there," she said. "More than that, I saw no women hiking by themselves."

Inspiration struck one night she decided to "create something." A couple hours later, Trail Dames was born.

"I sent it to some of my friends and they liked it," she said. "I took some flyers to a local Curves to invite people to the first meeting."

The first meeting took place in the Spring of 2007. Huthmaker's goal was three strangers.

"I didn't just want it to be my friends showing up," she said, "so I had this goal of three strangers. When nine showed up, I thought it was so cool."

And the numbers kept growing. Within three months of the first hike in April 2007 up Springer Mountain, 50 women had joined the group.

Today, there are 350 in the Atlanta Chapter with other chapters started in Tennessee, Texas and New Hampshire.

The group has grown faster than Huthmaker ever believed possible.

"It's wonderful," she said. "It's my passion. I started this because I knew there were women like me out there that had never considered doing this. It doesn't even occur to them to hike up a mountain. They need to know it's OK to sweat while they get to the top."

Trail Dames invites women of all different shapes and fitness levels, Huthmaker said. That has included everyone from great-grandmothers to marathon runners.

"Everyone is invited," she said. "What's important is that we create a safe place where women can do something physical and feel comfortable, especially if they are overweight."

Huthmaker's one rule: She's always last.

"I will also be last on a hike," she said. "I don't want anyone to feel they are slowest one. I want everyone to feel comfortable and enjoy what they are doing. If they thought they could never do it, I love to see the look on their face when they see what they have accomplished. I like to look at them and say, 'you climbed a mountain.' It creates are part of themselves they never knew existed."

Huthmaker hopes Trail Dames spreads across the United States. But despite its growing popularity, she said it will remain free of charge.

"People say I'm crazy but I don't every want anyone to feel like they can't do it," she said. "That's really important to me. I just want to show people that it's easier than they think to accomplish this."

And men are not always excluded.

"We have "Bring your man" hikes twice a year," Huthmaker said.

Huthmaker said she encourages anyone interested to visit www.traildames.com.
- www.gwinnettherald.com

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: