Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Duluth woman raising funds to maintain new liver

Gloria Morrow has been sick for 18 years. However, she is hoping to soon be well again if she receives a liver transplant, but she has never used her condition as a reason to feel down.

"I'm hanging in there," she said. "I'm happy most of the time and haven't had a problem with depression. I've learned that you can be happy and still be ill. Some people think all sick people are unhappy."

Morrow's situation started with "flu-like" symptoms.

"I started feeling like I could sleep around the clock," said the 65-year-old. "My functions just never went back to normal."

It took years for doctors to diagnose her liver disease. During that time, Morrow went through periods of illness that would last for a few months at a time.

"Then I would get better," she said.

Now, her weekly routine involves what she calls a "date day" with her husband, Thomas. This date includes her regular visits to Piedmont Hospital.

"It sure is a terrible way to have a date," she said.

The date includes regular screenings and draining fluid off of her stomach, sometimes as much as 11 liters.

"We spend most of the day at the hospital," she said. "If I feel good enough, sometimes we go eat lunch."

Morrow has also taken classes on fund raising.

"It is my responsibility to earn $10,000," she said.

"They really treat receiving a liver transplant like a baby. They want to make sure you can nurture it for a long time and be good to this liver."

Morrow said a large portion of the money is to ensure funds to purchase the anti-rejection drugs. The Georgia Transplant Foundation, a non-profit organization providing financial, educational and emotional assistance to the state's transplant community, will match Morrow's $10,000.

"That's their way of looking out for the liver," she said.

Morrow said raising the money is a "daunting" task.

"In this kind of economy," she said, "I feel terrible asking for money to save my life. I'm not comfortable asking, but I'm not sure anyone is."

Morrow said she wants people to understand any donations would still go to the cause, even if she passes away before a transplant.

"If I don't make it," she said, "it goes to another patient and helps with funeral expenses. People should know that it goes to another candidate.

When thinking about the process of receiving a transplant, Morrow said she is holding out hope for the best.

She finds hope in a story she once heard about a 200-pound man receiving a liver transplant from a 90-year-old woman.

"I feel if he can make it," she said, "maybe I can, too. You hear of miracles everyday."

Morrow said she "can't say enough good things" about Piedmont Hospital, particularly Dr. Raymond Rubin and Nurse Practitioner Suzanne Chaulk.

"They have just been great," she said.

"They all know my name and say hello when I come in."

Morrow has also received plenty of support from the community and St. Monica's Church.

"People have been really good to me in the community," she said. "I'm in good hands."

If you have questions or need further verification, please contact the Georgia Transplant Foundation at (770) 457-3796 or Gloria Morrow at (770) 623-1605. Checks should be made out to Gloria Morrow Transplant Fund and mailed to 1925 Noblin Ridge Trail, Duluth, GA 30097.
- www.gwinnettherald.com

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: