Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Johns Creek student makes cards for kids


When Hope Kemp-Hanson had her tonsils removed last year, she thought the toy she received from hospital staff was a nice way to cheer her up after undergoing surgery.

But the State Bridge Elementary School fifth-grader thought there might be something else that could help lift kids' spirits after medical procedures.

Kemp-Hanson decided that she was going to enlist the help of her classmates at State Bridge Elementary to make cards proclaiming motivational mottos like "get well soon" and "turn that frown upside down," and deliver them to local hospitals.

"I just thought it would make the kids feel better," said Kemp-Hanson. "From the time I was little my mom made cards for me and put them in my lunch box, under my pillow, in my shoe and still puts them in my backpack. I love getting her cards and I love making her cards, too. Cards make people feel good."

Her goal was 800 cards. But Kemp-Hanson and State Bridge Elementary School went above and beyond, making more than 1,100 cards that will be distributed to children at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta and North Fulton Regional Hospital.

According to Hope's mother, April, Children's Healthcare of Atlanta performs about 50 surgeries per day, therefore there will be enough cards for kids through the end of the year.

"I see Hope as a leader," said Trey Martin, State Bridge Elementary principal. "She has a big heart and loves to help people."

Kemp-Hanson contacted Children's Healthcare of Atlanta and North Fulton Regional to make sure her efforts abided by HIPAA laws. She also secured a sponsorship with Vic's Pizza in Duluth, who supplied pizza parties for participating classrooms and a lunch for teachers.

Kemp-Hanson is involved in student government and Junior Girl Scouts. She's also a U11 Gold Select soccer player for Norcross Soccer Association.

She says her involvement in activities, friends and family only make her heart sweeter everyday.
- www.northfulton.com

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: