Tuesday, May 6, 2008

NOW PLAYING: Mourning the death of 'The Simpsons'


It's time to pull the sheet over an American institution, one that claims to feature everyone's favorite animated family.

Folks, I hate to say it, but I think "The Simpsons" is dead. Long my favorite show while growing up, the continuation of this show into its 19th season has really tarnished its image.

I came to this realization Sunday night watching the latest episode, "Any Given Sundance," where Lisa has made a documentary depicting the everyday life of her family. This is only the second or third new episode I've seen this season, which is sad considering how much I used to adore this show. It's simply no longer important to me to catch a new one because it will undoubtedly let me down.

It's really hard to pinpoint exactly what is wrong with the series now, but if you've watched it from the beginning, you know that the jokes just don't pack the punch these days. But one thing for sure is that what the early show was known for was its satire and biting social commentary, these days a lot of the jokes come from the lowest common denominator.

Click here to read the rest of the column.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: